The yellow gorgonian coral likes shadowy places and overhangs between 5 and 100 meters deep. Its branched skeleton measures between 10 and 50 centimetres: it is dotted with small holes in which minuscule animals live, i.e. polyps. Its branches are positioned perpendicularly to the current in order to filter water and trap microorganisms.
Did you know ?
Gorgonians produce eggs which transform into small larvae. Carried away by the current these will be the source of new colonies.
- Exploitation by man and uprooting
- Destruction by fishing boats
- Changes to its environment
- Climate change
- Acidification of oceans
How can I help to protect it?
- I use environment-friendly mooring techniques to limit the impact of anchoring
- In the case of anchoring out at sea,I only anchor in areas where marine habitats are not fragile and raise the anchor vertically
- I do not disturb marine wildlife. Look but don’t touch!
- I avoid contact with the seabed and with sloping faces
- I avoid repeated and long visits to caves
- I report any unusual environmental incidents
- I recover waste and dispose of it in suitable bins on land
- I do not gather souvenirs from the sea
- I share this best practice with other seafarers and raise their awareness.