Its plumage is browny-black, except for its pygostyle and a white band on the underside of its wings. This species lives on the high seas, and only comes to the islands to breed in natural rocky cavities.
Scientific name : Hydrobates pelagicus
Breeding season : February to November
Did you know ?
The islands of Marseilles, the only proven breeding site in continental France of this Mediterranean variety, represent an important place for the conservation of this species.
- Overpopulation of the yellow-legged gull
- Changes to its environment
- Predation by introduced mammals (black rat)
- Disturbance by humans mainly at night
Conservation management initiatives
- Channelling of visitors
- Capture and monitoring of introduced mammals (black rat)
How can I help to protect it?
- I keep my dog on a leash on the Frioul archipelago
- I do not take my dog to the Riou archipelago
- I keep to the marked trails