Varied and unusual monuments
The cultural heritage of the Calanques National Park is rich and diverse: you'll find castles, bastides, artists' villas, a lighthouse, a cave, wrecks of ships and airplanes, religious, agricultural, industrial, military, health buildings, as well as a few surprises, such as a "téléscaphe" (underwater cable car) and mysterious inscriptions...
The Calanques National Park and its immediate surrounding area are home in particular to:
- three historical monuments with listed status: the Château d’If, the Grottes Cosquer, Grottes du Figuier, Grottes du Renard and Grottes de la Triperie, and the Planier lighthouse
- a registered historical monument: Hôpital Caroline
- nine monuments with 20th century heritage status: the Planier lighthouse, the residence of Roy d’Espagne, the Luminy school of art and architecture, the Castelroc-le-Haut residence, two factories, a service station and a garden city in the Vallée de l’Huveaune, and the Résidence Notre-Dame de La Garde in La Ciotat
- two "Maisons des Illustres": Villa Michel Simon and Fondation Camargo
- a remarkable garden: the Parc du Mugel