Green expanses are characterised by the presence of numerous, small and bulbous annual herbaceous plants. Successive blooms occur here especially in spring, dotting the landscape with many splashes of colour. In the Calanques National Park green expanses can found in open land. Smaller green areas are found on the plateaux and on the edge of lanes.
Main associated species
- Shrubby globularia (Globularia alypum)
- Giant orchid (Himantoglossum robertianum)
- Mediterranean false brome (Brachypodium retusum)
- Crimean iris (Iris lutescens)
- Aphyllante de Montpellier (Aphyllanthes monspeliensis)
Did you know?
Pasture activities encouraged the emergence of green expanses of false brome up to the last century. Especially liked by sheep, shepherds have for centuries encouraged the Mediterranean false brome (Brachypodium retusum) to regrow by burning trees and shrubs in order to make room for it.