The European shag can be recognised by its blackish plumage with a bottle green tinge, its long neck and thin yellow beak. It has a lighter build than the Great cormorant and has a crest on its forehead during spring in the breeding season.
This unbeatable swimmer feeds on fish that it hunts underwater. It can dive more than 30 meters deep and remain submerged for two minutes! It can often be seen with its wings stretched out in the sun to dry its feathers after having caught fish
Scientific name : Phalacrocorax aristotelis
Breeding season : November to June
Did you know ?
The European shag only lives in the Mediterranean. The Riou archipelago is home to the second biggest colony in France.
- Nautical activities by humans
- Accidental capture in fishing boats
- Changes to its environment
Conservation management initiatives
- Channelling marine activities
- Prohibiting disembarkation in some areas
How can I help to protect it?
- I keep a safe distance away from coastal cliffs and go by slowly
- I only disembark where it is authorised